Wednesday, June 1, 2011

What does "Appalachia" mean?

Before asking myself what Appalachia meant, I decided to interview people who I thought would have an idea. My dad is from Pennsylvania, and my mom is from West Virginia. These states both have some places that could definitely be considered Appalachian, so they could give their insight on it. I also interviewed a friend who is from a part of Ohio that isn't Appalachian, but is currently attending Ohio University.

My mom's general idea was that "Appalachia" consists of trailer parks and the stereotypes associated with the trailer park life: overalls, tobacco chewing, and banjos, specifically. She didn't identify as Appalachian because she never lived in an area like that, but she knew people in school growing up that she would call Appalachian because of their way of speaking.

My dad only associated the term "Appalachia" with the mountain range, and was unfamiliar with what Appalachian culture entailed. He said he never met or was familiar with anyone who would identify as Appalachian.

My friend Kevin specifically said "Appalachia is like five minutes from OU, so we're in it but not IN it." His view of Appalachia was a culture of farmers and wide, empty spaces with nothing to do. Being from central Ohio, he didn't identify as Appalachian and said he didn't really know anyone else who did.

My view on Appalachian culture is almost envious, in a way. I've moved around a lot in my lifetime, and haven't really been settled in a place for a long period of time. In Appalachian culture, many people are reluctant to leave their homes and have strong bonds with their neighbors, because they have lived near to them for all of their lives. I'm definitely not Appalachian, but I do respect that aspect of the culture.

It is important to know about Appalachian culture if you're attending Ohio University. You'll inevitably meet Appalachian people while you attend, so you'll want to know acceptable behaviors to keep yourself from getting into trouble. It's also good to know some of the local language so you won't be completely dumbstruck if you happen to speak with someone from Appalachia. But don't try to use it unless you're qualified. It just looks silly.

No comments:

Post a Comment