Wednesday, May 18, 2011

I feel that knowing your surrounding is a huge part of life. Its always a good thing to know the past and present about your home, or home away from home.
What Exactly is Appalachia? "
"Appalachia means to me: like the deep heartfelt yurning inside for a place, but its not realy a place its more like a time! A time when people meant it when we said thankyou & god bless ! When kids respected thier elders,when thoughts & lives weren't so cluttered with outside objects & inside envies ! A time when you worked to live not live to work & held your head high cuz you earned it, cuz you made somethin outa nothin, when wal-mart was your garden,the bank was your root sellar, your neighbor was your family friend" http://www.goodreads.com/author_blog_posts/223389-what-does-appalachia-mean-to-you

(A question I kept getting was "are you talking about the Appalachian mountains?")

I Spoke to three individuals about what they thought when they heard "Appalachia."
First Response I got was they thought of mountains.
The second response I they thought about silence, and peace. (this was a response from a female of course:)
The third response I got was once again they thought about mountains.
I would never say I lived in a Appalachia area. Nor could I say I heard from someone that says they are Appalachia. Even while being here in Athens. Its hard to really say you do when you are surrounded by other college students. You tell me is this the so called "Appalachia area?" We may live in a Appalachia area but are the people really Appalachia?

No comments:

Post a Comment