Sunday, May 15, 2011

Appalachia. Think of the first thing that comes to your mind? For most people its hillbillies, bluegrass, and an accent. Whether that is a good thing or bad thing is up to the people that live there. I interviewed three people currently living in Appalachia to see what the area means to them.

I interviewed my parents because although they live together, they both have a different outlook. My dad thought of banjos, mountains, and moonshine when asked what he first thinks about. He does not consider himself a part of Appalachia because he grew up in Iowa. He says we are called Appalachian by the federal government, but we are on the edge of it

and are not submerged in the culture. My dad works in Huntington, West Virginia, and it’s what he calls “the heart of Appalachia.” The people there are polite, friendly, religious, and very musical. They also like to take care of older family members; they see it as a disgrace to the family to put them in a nursing home.

My mom thinks it is important to know about the people around you and understand their lifestyles. You should know the environment in which you live and adapt to it. The first words that come to her mind when hearing “Appalachia” are poor, rural, farm, and hills. My mom works with a woman who will avoid telling people she is from West Virginia. She tells people she is from Ohio so she won’t be treated differently. The woman says people will act superior to her and treat her like she is uneducated. My mother is not Appalachian because, like my dad, she did not grow up in Appalachia.

My friend Taylor, a student at Ohio University, believes it is necessary to be knowledgeable about the land you live on. It is respectful have a background and history on an area to truly appreciate it. The first words that came to her mind were trees, wilderness, and hills. Taylor is not an Appalachian, nor does she know any because we live on a college campus. The school has people from all over the United States, so not one lifestyle is dominant. Having a college in Appalachia shadows the surrounding area’s culture because we do not interact with them on a regular basis.

I do not consider myself an Appalachian because I live on the edge of the Appalachian area. However, I may show a few characteristics with my language on a regular basis. For example I say “crick” instead of “creek,” “melk” instead of “milk,” and “hoam” instead of “home.” Many people in my hometown will pronounce common words like these with a little accent. When we travel some people will notice our little accent or changes in some words. Understanding the area you live in is definitely necessary; however the college town takes away from learning about the surrounding area. We do not live in a completely Appalachian area so many people may be unaware of the culture or term altogether.

No comments:

Post a Comment