Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Litter in Athens

It's not something I looked up online or something I read in the papers, it's actually just something I've noticed everywhere around Ohio University's campus: it's a trash problem.  And no it's not just one or two individuals dropping a receipt or a bottle here and there every once in a while; I've seen the result of what seemed to be entire trash bins just tossed into the woods around East Green.  It's really depressing and disgusting to walk around what is referred to as a beautiful campus only to see it covered in ripped up beer boxes, cans, bottles, and other ugly, harmful waste.  Not only is it displeasing to look at, it's not too good for the environment.  Yes, everyone reading this already knew that, I'm not patronizing you, I'm finding something to write about so it looks like I wrote a lot.  But I have seen squirrels and birds around here eating the trash at some points.  It's disgusting and I'm sure it isn't healthy for 'em.

Pointing out and noticing this problem is just half the battle, and even that half seems hard to win, seeing that it seems as if no one notices.  I personally will pick up some of the trash I see, especially if I'm just walking by it.  I've had the urge to pick up that entire forest full of dumped trash, but for some reason (I really have no excuse, I'm no better than the next guy) I didn't.  I think people just need to at least be aware of the problem, so that maybe they can at least pick up a chip bag on their way to class and throw it away.  Or at least don't drop it there in the first place.  People I've met here and have become friends with just litter, they just get their Burrito Buggy taco, take the foil off and throw it on the ground.  Maybe it was the way I was raised, but I just see it as wrong.  If you're not going to pick it up, at least don't put it there in the first place.

That is all.
(I'm not a hippie I swear it)

Good night.  Or morning.  Definitely depends on when you're reading this.

Update, here IS a website I found that gives some pretty good examples of what I'm talking about:
Pretty

No comments:

Post a Comment